2.22.2010

thanks for the reminder

It's still cold outside, and dreary, but thanks to a friend's very timely post on Facebook, I was reminded to adjust my attitude and be grateful for all that's good around me. I also spent a few days over the weekend watching my cute grandkids - that changed my perspective big time. Why complain about the weather when there are pictures to paint, play-doh to mold, trucks to push, "Yo Gabba Gabba" to watch, and dances to dance?

Here is Nancy Jensen's essay - she's a wonderful writer, thinker, and example!
She calls her gratitude journal her "time enough" journal and starts her entries with: "Today I had the time to... ."

A Busy
Mom's Plan to Regain Serenity by Nancy Jensen

Things grow in proportion to the attention we give them. I’ve been using this law to my disadvantage.

I’ve been staring at all the items scheduled on my calendar, and all the items on my task list and thinking, “I am overscheduled, and I have too much to do.” I have been going to bed at night thinking, “I am overscheduled, and I have too much to do.” I have been waking up in the morning thinking, “I am overscheduled, and I have too much to do.” I have been looking and looking at my calendar and task list and wondering what I could take off. But everything has to stay, because my three at-home children need to go to the dentist and the doctor and Cub Scouts and I’m not willing to give up Children’s Choir; I have to exercise each day or I’ll get fibromyalgia again; I have a church calling that requires a fair amount of time; I need to study the gospel regularly, of course; I want to stay in touch with friends and family; I’m blessed with a beautiful home to care for; I love teaching piano lessons; I want to learn to know my ancestors and find any that need temple work. In other words, there isn’t anything on my calendar or my to-do list that I don’t want there. Therefore, nothing needs to be changed except for the attitude that “I am overscheduled, and I have too much to do.”

Here’s how I can use the Law of Attraction to solve this problem:

I can look at my to-do list as my friend Cleo does: It’s a box of delicious chocolates and I get to choose one now, and another one after that. I can focus on what is written on the calendar for today only, and “let the morrow take thought for the things of itself.” I can choose two or three “chocolates” from the task list to “eat” today, and enjoy them, knowing I will never run out. Most of all, I can go to bed at night thinking, “I have enjoyable and meaningful things to do, and I have all the time I need to do them.” I can wake up in the morning thinking, “I have enjoyable and meaningful things to do, and I have all the time I need to do them.” I can look at my calendar and task list while thinking, “I have enjoyable and meaningful things to do, and I have all the time I need to do them.” I can trust in the Lord and be confident that each item will get done when it needs to get done, because the Lord gives me exactly the right amount of time to do everything He calls or inspires me to do.

What we think about and thank about we bring about. I intend to think about and bring about peaceful enjoyment of this season of life.