1.05.2009

thinking about new year's resolutions!



Can't believe how long it's been since I posted on this blog. Blame it on the snow. All I've done is shovel, shovel, shovel. (That's Becky in the photo.) These pictures are from before Christmas, but the story is the same today.

I'm back to my computer and since it's January I'll give you some great New Year's advice from the website
BrookNoel.com. She is on of a million bloggers who have Weekly Challenges on their blogs or websites. Her challenge for this week is to make what she calls a "CRAZY LIST." Here's what she says:

Make a Crazy List for 2009 by Brook Noel:

One day Alice came to a fork in the road
and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree.
"Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" was his response.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
~ Lewis Carroll


Where do you want to go this year? Perhaps you have already created a detailed plan with specific goals. Perhaps you have set a thousand goals in the past only to be discouraged because they didn't come to fruition. Perhaps you think of resolutions as a novelty and like most people abandon them by February. Perhaps you are comfortable with the status quo and feel uncomfortable when thinking about challenging life. But I strongly doubt that. Why? Well, I think you have a glimmer of internal hope for a better way... for a better day. It only takes a glimmer to nurture a vision.

So what do you want? Many of us have difficulty articulating our "wants." We might be used to expressing our needs, but not give much thought to what we truly want from life. We think about getting from this day to the next, or improving our immediate future, but we lose sight of a bigger vision that rejuvenate and inspire us. Let's do something fun to break out of this mold--let's make a crazy list.

Making a Crazy List Brook continues: "I stumbled on the idea of a crazy list early last year. I had just finished telling someone why I couldn't do something. I can't remember the exact thing to which I was referring but the sentence was, "I don't have enough time to ______________" (and frankly, it was a lousy excuse--it even sounded lousy when I was saying it). However, since many of us are so talented at making excuses, we actually begin to believe them. Later that night, something within me stirred and said, "Wait a second... why can't you do that?" Whenever I find myself engaging in a negative pattern, I challenge it as quickly as I can. Within minutes I was creating a crazy list of all the things I would like to do before I die. The list contained many things - get my pilot's license, climb Mt. Hood, go on a safari, paint a series, run a marathon, ski in Colorado, skydive, learn calligraphy, spend New Year's Eve in Times Square, start a self-esteem group for girls, on and on and on the list went--some of the list items more challenging than others."

Posted by Picasa