12.27.2008

:: just warmed my heart ::


I relish the few "slowed down" days after Christmas. It's a time to review and make some resolutions for next year. I'm going to write some posts of my favorite Chrismas moments over the next few days as I reflect on our Christmas celebration.
This event took place one week before Christmas. I was thrilled to have an evening at home after a string of holiday parties (two at our house) that just came at us bam bam bam. We had fun at every party - and loved being with our best family and friends. But, I welcomed a night at home and a chance to work on addressing my Christmas cards.
Scott had gone to the church to help with a youth Sub-for-Santa project. They were to be wrapping the gifts for some little children that they had purchased the week before. I almost didn't answer the phone when it rang, but when I did, it was Scott. "Debbie, we need your help."
I asked what was going on and Scott said that when they got to the church they found out that there was another family that they had been assigned to buy gifts for: a mother and her two teen-aged daughters. Scott was calling from Wal-Mart where the group of three adult men and two teen-aged boys were trying to pick out clothing for these women. I was almost laughing as I told them to go to the section where the sizes were 3,5,7 not 6,8,10. Scott found that section and I told him to find some hoodies. Scott was carrying on his conversation with me and the boys. "Hey guys, do you know what a hoodie is? Find one." They found the hoodies - they had cartoon characters on them. I knew that if they were Sponge Bob characters that Scott would think they were cool and acceptable, so at that point I said, "I'll come down and help with the clothes. Go to the electronics section and find a digital camera or mp3 player."
So I went to Wal-Mart and there they all were, proudly showing me the things they'd found. Athletic shoes for each girl, and an mp3 player too. An outfit for the mother, and a gift card. They really didn't need me, except I found a really cute yellow bag for one of the teens, and some cute tops to add to the hoodies they had already selected. (No pictures on these.)






I couldn't resist following them to the church with the camera, and it was heartwarming to see their delight as they wrapped and labeled each gift. This was an all-guy collaborative project, and they did a wonderful job - without a word of negativity or complaint. It was a joy to behold!