4.15.2009

yummy dishes

So I saw these dishes in TJ Maxx last week and had an immediate want-want-want reaction. I filled my shopping cart with plates, bowls, cups, and saucers picturing how cute they'll be for Christmas, Valentines, 4th of July and every other Sunday. As I strolled up to the front of the store, I was struck by the fact that I DO NOT NEED THESE DISHES, no matter how beautiful they are (or what a good price). I had this naggy voice in my head saying, "Is this a want or a need?" So I went back to the dishes aisle and put them all back, except for one dinner plate and one soup bowl. Which I use for my broiled cheese sandwiches at lunch. And I eat with a big smile.


The perfect antidote to depression caused by rain or snow is a take-out bowl of Olive Garden soup - I love the Pasta e Fagioli. I brought it home and placed the take-out bowl inside my pretty red bowl and enjoyed an early dinner. That soup is so good that I thought there must be a recipe on the internet - and yes there are lots. The following recipe sounded good whether you crockpot it or just cook it on the stovetop.

Olive Garden Pasta e Fagioli Soup in a Crock Pot

(Copycat recipe from recipezaar.com)

The website says: This tastes exactly like the pasta e fagioli soup at the Olive Garden. Wonderful!

SERVES 12 -14 - this is a big recipe, can be halved.

Ingredients

Directions

  1. Brown beef in skillet. Drain fat from beef and add to crock pot with everything except pasta.
  2. Cook on low 7-8 hours or high 4-5 hours.
  3. During last 30 min on high, add pasta. OR even better, cook pasta on the stovetop and add as you are serving the soup.

6 comments:

Janet said...

It doesn't even sound hard AND I have most of the ingredients already! I LOVE that soup (and I have never thought of getting it as takeout -- I'll be doing that tomorrow).

Megan Maughan! said...

I'm dying to try some new recipes! This one sounds SO yummy and SO easy! I'll be trying it this week!

Courtney and Dorothy said...

Ok so I think you should have bought the whole set of dishes. They are beautiful. Go back and get them :-)
I am going to try that soup. It does sound so yummy..
Thanks

italgal said...

Hi, Debbie. You made ME want those dishes! I never thought about how many uses you could get from one cute "red" set! That soup recipe is so yummy. I thought I'd share one additional variation: use bulk italian sausage for the ground beef. Even turkey or chicken sausage works well. The italian sausage really bumps up the flavor profile. Enjoy! -Renee (italgal on BPS)

Ashley & Donnie said...

Too bad we had that conference talk about wanting and needing. Darn the good advice! Well I'm glad you like my music! I'll keep adding good songs!

Becky said...

That's is major willpower mom, way to go.