7.11.2012

:: scott's birthday wish ::


Scott was reading the AAA magazine where they listed cool things to do this summer, and the only thing listed in Utah was the July 6th Moonlight Bike Ride on Antelope Island. Immediately he said, "That's what I want to do for my birthday." 

So we did. Becky, Pitt and Emmett joined us - first for dinner at McGrath's. 


Becky made the card for Scott, so now you know how YOUNG he is.

 
Then we took off for the Great Salt Lake. Little did we know that there'd be 1500 riders and tons of traffic on the road and causeway to Antelope Island. It got later and later and darker and darker. It was my first 'bike event,' and I felt nervous to be doing my first bike ride in the dark on a road I'd never been on even in the daylight. But everything is "no big deal" to Scott and he refused to let me fret. (Welcome to my life.)

We finally got parked and set to go...with Emmett in a bike trailer behind Pitt. It was Emmett's first time in a bike trailer. He was perfect! No issues - just dealt with it. He's a 2 1/2-year-old trooper.

We set off at 10:45 pm. It was dark but the stars were bright and the moon was just rising. We had headlamps on our helmets which cast a surprising amount of light and headlights on the bikes. (Petzl headlamps for Beck and Pitt, of course, because Pitt works at Petzl in sales and marketing.) 

 As usual I was Mrs. Cautious wearing long pants and long sleeves because of the "bugs" and insisting that Scott do the same. It was hot. And it was embarrassing to be "so dressed" among those 1500 real-life cyclists and their multi-colored spandex shorts and zip-front tops. Oh well, it was dark. 

It was also embarrassing to be on a cruiser bike. I was the only "upright" cyclist that I saw. But I'll tell you this: I was very comfortable on my tractor seat, my gears worked like a dream, I only got a bit of a backache, and I enjoyed the ride without fear of falling. So, go cruiser and go being old and not caring. Again, I'm glad it was dark.

At mile 7 (out of 22) I turned around and went back. We had just cruised down a long wonderful hill and I was loving it - then IT HIT ME! I have to go back up this hill and any others. I realized I was tired and holding the others back. So I headed back to the car and felt fine about it. 


Here are Becky and Scott at the halfway point - mile 11. There was food and celebrating. Becky rode the whole way - never stopped and walked. She's in GOOD SHAPE! I'm proud of her. Scott and Pitt did too!

A typical group of "true cyclists" having a blast at the party. 

Emmett was a champ! He slept in the trailer and woke up happy and proud of Grandpa when it was all over. 

NEXT YEAR - you're all going to join us. We're going to get Spandex outfits and form a team. Start training now - 22 miles is your goal. 
Posted by Picasa