1.15.2011

: : winter white : :

It's white and gray and tan outside and very cold and dreary ... it's winter.



There have been lots of deer in our yard and around the neighborhood. And when I was outside shoveling snow yesterday morning, there were flocks of birds flying overhead making pretty chirping sounds - not the ugly blackbird caw - and the sound filled the cold sky and made me lean on the snow shovel and look up.

I love to decorate the inside of the house tan and brown and gray and white during the month of January.


I keep the rooms bare and with as little color as possible (except for my blue). I gladly put away the chaos of Christmas reds and greens and all that holiday stuff...so much stuff. Here is my footstool with my favorite Compendium book Live Good by Kobi Yamada.



I adore the simple white lace on the front room chair and on the dining room table below. I chanced upon some fascinating book blogs yesterday and ohhhh...the reading possibilities for sitting in this chair in 2011. Keeping with my resolution not to add any more stuff, I'm thinking downloads on my Ipad will be the way to read this month.

It's hard to see the corner details on this beautiful white lace tablecloth - but they are embroidered white on white. The tablecloth was given to me before our wedding; it had belonged to Scott's mother. Sadly, I never had the privilege to know Arvilla Watts Raymond - she passed away from cancer about five years before I met Scott. But I have learned much about her - she was an amazing person, and I love this tablecloth.


And in the kitchen, blue and white to brighten the windowsill. The precious butter dish is a gift from my daughter-in-law Aimee. The plant pot is an inexpensive bargain from Ross and the plate is my !FIND! It's a Ralph Lauren china plate that I found at TJ Maxx yesterday.