8.07.2010

{ summer reads }

I sat on my back patio this morning and read a couple more chapters of The Namesake - the fiction book I'm reading right now. Because I love book recommendations from others, I'm going to list the books that I'm working on. However, I do this against my better judgment because everyone has different opinions about what's a good book. Oh well, here goes......


{ just finished }
Linchpin by Seth Godin. I always have a self-help book on my stack of current reads, and this book is one of my favorites ever. I have long admired Seth Godin - his blog was one of the first blogs I ever read - back when no one knew what the word blog meant (remember that?!) As a marketing genius he just "gets it." And he's prolific, with lots of books, free online articles, This book's sub-title "Are You Indispensable?" can apply to your job, your volunteer work, your family - anything and everything you do. Inspiring.


{ currently reading - fiction }
The Namesake. I've read a few books written about and/or by people from India; I especially liked Homeless Bird by Gloria Whelan. This book, by Jhumpa Lahiri, is about the trials and triumphs of a young student and his wife who come to America from Calcutta. The writing is beautiful, particularly the author's descriptions. And it's so life enriching to read about other cultures and beliefs.


{ writing inspiration }
Old Friend from Far Way. I have an ongoing love affair with books on writing. I picked up this Natalie Goldberg gem at a little bookstore in Main Street in Park City last Saturday. Her lovely writing makes me yearn to write more. It would be great fun and good practice to go through all the writing exercises in the book.



{ young adult lit }
YA is one of my favorite genres and I almost always like the Newbery winners. When You Reach Me is the Newbery winner for 2010.


{on my e-reader }
There is one genre of books that I don't ever read - I'm not sure why - and that's mystery/crime books. Actually, I do know why...I don't like crime shows on TV or crime movies or anything that depicts murder. So I might not get very far in this book. When I found the book recommendation, though, I was intrigued, so I decided to read it as an electronic download. Here is a little blurb about the book:

"As the early morning mist clears on Thanksgiving Sunday, the homes of Three Pines come to life - all except one…

To locals, the village is a safe haven. So they are bewildered when a well-loved member of the community is found lying dead in the maple woods. Surely it was an accident - a hunter's arrow gone astray. Who could want Jane Neal dead?

In a long and distinguished career with the Sûreté du Quebec, Chief Inspector Armand Gamache has learned to look for snakes in Eden. Gamache knows something dark is lurking behind the white picket fences, and if he watches closely enough, Three Pines will begin to give up its secrets…"


{ my next book to read }