4.26.2010

Fresh Treats



I'm finally back to my blog - but only for a minute. I want to share the recipe for Shelia's Brownies - it's at the end of this post. And to balance your diet if you eat brownies for breakfast like me, a I have a suggestion for a new product that you can top with fruit for a fresh treat. (Though, admittedly, it's more dessert than health food.)


This new product (anyway, new to me) is Yoplait Delights Parfait. I have to give the credit to my sister-in-law Lesa for discovering them and then having the idea to put fruit on top. They are in the yogurt section of the grocery store, in a four pack, like small yogurts - but the key word on the package is "Delights." (Which, as I already mentioned, probably means they have no redeeming nutritional value.) They come in four flavors, but my favorite is the Triple Berry Creme shown above. They have a layer of berry yogurt, then a layer of white creamy fluff. On top of that I put as many strawberries and I can smash in, then, if it's for company, I top with a dollop of whipping cream. Because they are in a clear plastic container, they look kind of pretty and party-ish.
They're fresh and delicious and better for you than ice cream, I'm sure!



And now for...

Shelia's Brownies

1 cube butter or margarine
2 (1 oz.) squares Baker's Unsweetened Baking Chocolate
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup plain flour
2 eggs
2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
walnuts - coarsly chopped

Melt butter and baking chocolate together. Stir in sugar and vanilla. Add eggs one at a time. (Shelia says, "Yes, this does make a difference.") Stir in flour, chocolate chips, and nuts. Spray a 9" x 9" baking pan and pour batter in. Bake for exactly 30 minutes at 350.
Do not overbake. Cool and cut into squares.

Debbie's suggestion and I think Shelia does this too: Always double the recipe then you'll have enough for a 9" x 13" pan and some batter leftover so the children { lol } can lick the bowl.Posted by Picasa