9.12.2013

:: watermelon quilt ::


It's time to put away my summer decorations and start filling the house with fall colors. I'm sad to say goodbye to my red geraniums, pink petunias, favorite whitewashed Longaberger baskets, and especially this cute watermelon quilt. Everyone who comes in my back door (our "family and friends door") stops and smiles at this bright, happy quilt. 

The pattern is the Watermelon Table Topper from Kimberbell Designs. It's one of Kim's "Cuties" patterns which means it's quick and easy and darling! 

The finished size in the pattern is 22 x 22 inches, but I added extra borders so it would fit my quilt hanger and fill the wall above the blue dresser. It was fun to piece because the center square is made with the easy disappearing nine-patch technique. The applique was simple but hand embroidering all those ant legs and antler took a little time! Not bad though, if you watch TV while stitching.

I love love the black and white stripe border! It looks delightful next to the red chevron fabric. And I think the quilting is awesome. I had Leisha Farnsworth of Quilt It in Providence do the machine quilting and was so tickled when I picked it up. 
Posted by Picasa