9.23.2013

( chicken pot pie )


This chicken pot pie was easy and yummy. I followed the "healthified" version below but added mushrooms. I divided the recipe and put one panful in the freezer. I'll add the pastry when I bake it.
 
 

The crescent rolls are a bit different tasting than pie crust and my preference. I think they're easier to use, too, and since I always buy the reduced fat crescent rolls, maybe a little healthier. Note: I DO NOT like the store brand of rolls, just stick to Pillsbury and enjoy! 

Healthified Chicken Pot Pie 

(from the Pillsbury website)

Healthified Chicken Pot Pie













Ingredients

1 bag frozen mixed vegetables
1/2 onion finely chopped
1 pkg. fresh mushrooms
3 T. flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 1/4 C. milk
2 T. butter
1 can 98% fat-free Cream of Chicken soup
3/4 cup light or fat-free sour cream
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts cooked and cut into small pieces (about 4 cups)
1 pie crust or 1 pkg Pillsbury Crescent Rolls - Low Fat (if dividing recipe, use 2 crusts or 2 roll packages)

1. Cook and drain vegetables. In skillet, cook onion and mushrooms in 2 T butter. Combine vegetables and set aside.
2. In lg saucepan, mix flour, salt, pepper, and milk and blend. Cook over med. heat about 5 minutes until thickened.
3. Stir in soup and sour cream. Add chicken and vegetables. Stir and cook until well heated. Pour into 2 qt. casserole or large pyrex. Top with crust or crescent rolls which have been formed to fit the pan. 
4. Bake 30 to 35 minutes. 
Posted by Picasa