3.29.2008

Talking around the dinner table...

The after-dinner conversation is the best part of Sunday dinner for me. I don't really enjoy the food, and I unfortunately dislike the preparation of the dinner. But the few minutes when everyone is through eating and just sitting around the table talking--that's the best time. Yesterday we had a nice Easter dinner with my parents, brother and sister-in-law, and a bunch of cousins. Our conversation led us to talking about music and old-time ways to play it. My s-i-l Kimberly mentioned that they recently showed a 45 record to their kids. The kids had never seen one, let alone played one on a record player. We talked about 8-track tapes and cassettes. I mentioned that I'd noticed in the past two years I hadn't even purchased a CD--all we do at our house anymore is download music. Then we started talking about iTunes and mp3 players and on and on.
As I drove to work this morning I was thinking about our dinner talk and I started laughing out loud. No wonder my 78-year-old mom just kind of tuned it all out. She knew it was useless to try to "get it." Our conversation went something like this:
Doug: "We download music to Windows Media Player then to our MP3 players." Scott: "I can't believe how easy it is to just sync my iTouch--I can even download movies." Debbie: "Scott got me a Zune on Woot and I really like it. But what I like best is to log onto iTunes and drag and drop singles to my playlists.Then I burn CDs--like my "Energy Mix." Doug: "Oh, Debbie the mix-master."
Isn't it funny and fascinating how lingo creeps into our language without us even realizing it. I know for sure if it were a bunch of twenty-somethings sitting around talking there would be even more jargon...much that I probably wouldn't get.